I have a mirror. It is a skinny mirror that I inherited when my roommates and I disbanded our apartment in Manhattan. It is sinfully ugly, but it is also a skinny mirror. I repeat, it is a SKINNY mirror. Girls, you know what this means. You step in front of it and viola! your face is slender, your neck is elegant, your collar bones are refined... you're practically wearing toe shoes and a tutu you're so instantly graceful.... but I digress.... the mirror, while being very skinny... is, as I mentioned earlier, ugly. Ugly in the sense of cheap, plastic, fake baroque, greenish gold. But I thought I could fix it. And I thought... maybe a nice coral color would be just the thing.
So I went to JoAnn's Fabrics (it was closer than Hobby Lobby) to pick out some paint. But everything I saw in the vein of coral just looked too orangy. Until I spotted a soft coral color with pink undertones - almost like the inside of a seashell.
"Hmmm," I thought, "This might just work."
It was just simple acrylic, craft paint - for use on any porous surface. And I think that was the first problem. My mirror is not exactly "porous" but I started dabbing it on anyway. At first it looked ok. Then it started to dry. And as it dried it got progressively duller..... and pinker.
But I'd already started and I couldn't really get it wiped off, so I went ahead and painted the entire thing. And so now instead of an ugly gold colored mirror, I have an even uglier pink mirror.
It's hideous.
But it is also skinny.
And for that reason, I keep it.
2 comments:
Your Editor.....Hideous is the correct spelling for the word that is synonymous with " pink" in your vocabulary, the color that makes your teeth "hurt"
We will need pictures of the mirror...
Post a Comment