I remember a time when I thought nothing of June. I mindlessly blew through the first heady days of Summer, scattering them to history like so many puffed dandelion seeds. The Summer Solstice really did feel like the beginning. July and August stretched out like country miles before me, with countless grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate milk lunches to be consumed before returning to school.
But now, June freaks me out.
As the month slips by, I casually try not to panic. I blame my job - too many hours spent in a cubicle, building plans for Black Friday sales and Spring 2013... And I panic a little bit inside - scared that Summer is flying by a little too fast, that life in total is flying by a little too fast.
So I leave work.
I leave work and drive home. I spend a couple hours in a truck, with my dad. I climb up into combines and talk about the weather. I eat a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, and drink beer with my brother at night. And for a day at least, Summer feels endless again.
No comments:
Post a Comment