Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11/14

While reflection and introspection are good at any point, it can be especially meaningful on days like today. Through reflection we can examine who we are and compare it to our past as well as to the future self we desire. The events of 9/11/01 were horrific, but they were also the catalyst for an amazing unification of the American People. I had never before in my life witnessed such an unwavering dedication to a common goal and identity. Heroes rushed in, taking action, without thought of self or difference of opinion. And while I value the difference of opinion and individuality that create our rich and dynamic society, I could do without the rancor and bickering that so often take place. I hope that as we, the American People, remember this day, we look back, not only to 9/11 and the heroes of that day, but also to the ideals upon which our nation was founded, and take stock of our current self. We are, no doubt, flawed individuals, but this nation was built upon the highest of ideals. Ideals which are carved in stone monuments in our nation's capital and hopefully, held just as solidly in our hearts. And while it may be a sad truth that we cannot escape the flaw of the individual, if we keep our eyes on these ideals, we will still remain a great nation.

No comments: