Friday, April 28, 2006

Have I told you about my family?


So I kind of figured that this goes without saying but recent events make me believe I should reiterate certain facts of life, namely that my family is truly awesome, probably the best in the world actually.

Here's the story - I like to check my mail just because it's kind of a treat and makes the day great if I get something, and if I don't get something it just means that there's a greater chance that I'll get something the next week. Well I went for a run the other morning and on the way back to the Blocks I decided I'd just walk over to the residential life office and check my mail. Well immediately when I walked through the door I could tell that the "O" box was pretty full. And I take a few more steps and there's a bunch of envelopes that all look the same. So I just figured that Deakin had sent out a bunch of stuff to everyone. But the first one had my name on it and as I looked at the envelopes I could see all the labels were the same and I just kept flipping through (and my eyes and smile just got bigger and bigger) and on about the fourth one my brain finally processed all the information and I just couldn't say anything for a couple minutes, which was fine because no one else was there and it would have been weird if I had started talking. Then even though I had 11 envelopes in my hand, apparently that wasn't enough so I flipped through the rest, and lo and behold there was a yellow slip that said I had a package! That just put me over the moon. It was a bit of an overload for one day but so so great. It was so great to walk back to the Blocks with this huge stack of mail I felt very conspicuous in a very good way. Like those people that deliver the great big checks to peoples' doors, you know as they're walking down the sidewalk and everyone is just thinking, "whoa". That's how I felt and I was thrilled.

I just want to thank everyone for the cards and prayers and everything that have helped me stay connected with people back home even when I'm so far away. It really is amazing to know you have so many people that care about you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo, go family!

Anonymous said...

Hey shorty, it's your birthday.

Anonymous said...

Or should I say birfday?