Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tuesday Thoughts


Everyone talks about how the world just keeps getting smaller. Technology has made it accessible in a matter of seconds and kilobytes. But it is still physically a big place. Even as the oceans are rising and spaces are being filled with all manner of human existance, it is still a big world. There are events happening every day that matter not one bit in the general life/style of the average person. We make a donation and pray for peace and the end of suffering. We make grocery lists and do laundry. It is still a big world. But I have seen the other side of it and it is blue and green and brown much like home. The colours do not change, it is only the arrangement, intensity, and proportion of hues that changes, that and the names. So I think it's not what you see in a new place, but rather who you become. Some people change. For the better, for the worse, or maybe not at all. Sometimes you fall down, sometimes you lose an eye. Sometimes you limp around for a long, long time. Sometimes you are finally able to acknowledge and recognize who it is you see in the mirror. You miss a bus, you ride a unicycle and finally, in the end, you go home, taking with you the memories and scars of the person you were in that particular time, in that particular place. They'd better be good ones. They'd better be worth it.

1 comment:

LuLu said...

Is that you with your feet on the TABLE? What would your mother say? And do I recognize Josh as well?

And for every missed train, computer trouble or extra expense there are moments of making it to the beach in Febraury, getting a 'free' CD player, late night talks and many giggles. I know I'm worried about going home and feeling like I've changed and nothing else has. But thinking about travelling again reminds me that I'm the one reponsible for my own happiness, for making use of the lessons and memories for my new experiences...and making up really good stories about those scars.