Here are some notes on the first few days of school:
On Monday, my fears regarding Ad Sales were unfortunately confirmed. I'm in the class with a bunch of other people who all already know each other and have their "groups". (most of the people I knew who would possibly form my "group" have graduated) Great. I spent my one hour break sitting at the union, chatting it up, enjoying the people watching. Then I sauntered on over to Philosophy. Ok, so I didn't think it would be that bad. I mean sometimes it's kind of fun to go round and round in circles and never reach a difinitive answer. And the professor's accent, though slight, was something interesting for my ears. However, to jump up to the present, I really am not going to enjoy this class. It's like he's taking the dullest approach possible. Whew. Could be rough. Work was pretty dull, but I had no complaint there because I already had an assignment I managed to do a little work on. Gold Star for me.
On Tueday I left the house feelin' pretty frat-tastic. I was wearing the standard fraternity dress-code conforming attire: khaki cargo pants, flipflops, and a t-shirt advertising a witty sounding business (Dottie's Den - Lake of the Ozarks). Once I realized this, I felt pretty uncomfortable - as if I might somehow be mistaken for the wrong demographic. (male... greek.... alcoholic...) Anyway, I got to my first class and wham-o, the marketing dept. had pulled a doozy on me. I signed up for the 8:05 Business Strategy class, not because I like to get a nice intellectual jump start on my day, no I signed up for that section because I heard the professor was good. But oh, no, there was no James Bloodgood at the front of the room. There was a lady. And though I'm sure she'll be wonderful, this just really irks me. If they don't know who's going to be teaching the class, don't even list a name on there, so you don't enroll under false pretenses! Sheesh. I was still excited to take Sports Marketing, until I walked into the room and saw that it was completely packed. I had this professor before and I really enjoyed the class, however, there were only about 8 people in there so the dynamics were significantly different. I never realized just how differently I behave in these two situations. In a large class I will not speak up unless required. It just doesn't happen. It shouldn't matter, but apparently in larger groups I revert back to the 4 year old who stared at her shoes. Oh well, I happen to have very nice shoes that deserve to have a little optical attention every now and then.
Today was basically a repeat of Monday although today I did go for a rather disheartening run. Oh the hill is long and steep, but somewhere, up among the clouds, I think I can see the shadow of my former glory. And if I squint real hard I can see I'm wearing my cool green pants (Aubrie, their days in your closet are numbered, however do not fear, it is a very large number).
And now I'm at work for the next 1.5 hours. The year, is off to a start. What sort of start? The jury's still out on that.
1 comment:
Adriane,
I just wanted you to know that I check your blog page... When no one leaves any comments it is hard to tell, but I didn't want you to feel as though no one cares about your news! I check it daily, just in case you might post something new. :o) Have your last couple of weeks been going a little better? Did you have fun at the K-State game??
Talk to you soon!
Post a Comment