
Last year, about the time I was wrapping things up in Australia, I saw a Time (or Newsweek - I can't remember for sure) magazine in the airport as we were leaving Uluru. The cover story basically said that research had shown that of all the influences in a kid's life, siblings play the largest role in how he/she ultimately turns out. I thought this was quite interesting, but not interesting enough to shell out the money to buy it. I've thought about it since then and want to thank my siblings for all the guidance, support, and well-timed whacks on the head that helped make me who I am.
I'd like to thank Canaan for not letting me whine, for helping me think of a topic for my intercultural communications presentation, for sharpening my corn knife before we went back out after lunch, and for telling me there wasn't a guy within a five mile radius of Aggieville who was worth my time. Although I didn't (and still don't) believe him, I appreciate the sentiment. I remember once when I was out at Hays, waiting for Kristi to get back from a cross country meet, you talked on the phone with me for well over 5 hours. I know we'll probably never do that again, but it really was great.
I'd like to thank Aubrie for helping me decide whether or not I should wear socks to bed, for letting me sleep on the "not fall out side" of the bed, and for holding my hand until I fell asleep. I also need to thank her for helping me re-enroll my freshman year when I dropped all my classes and switched majors after the first week and for not getting too fed up with me when we've been traveling and I take a passive role leaving her to make all of the decisions and read the maps. (But honestly, if I can't even decide whether or not to wear socks to bed, do you really want me in charge?) Thanks for reading over my crappy school papers and fixing my prepositions and what not.
However, I did not appreciate it when you (Canaan) kept knocking me down when I was jumping on mom and dad's bed or or when you hid under my bed and grabbed my ankles at night. I was also pretty ticked when you (Aubrie) took my brand-new eye shadow back to D.C. (it was still in the package!) Um there were several times when you (both) held me down and tickled me till I thought a really bad thing was going to happen all over the carpet and it made me really sad when I heard you complain to mom when I had to practice my saxophone. I was in 5th grade and thought I was pretty cool...
Regardless, the benefits have greatly outweighed the drawbacks and overall I think you're pretty good as far as siblings go. You guys have shown me how to work hard and how to succeed, how to have compassion and forgive, how to laugh at myself, and how to negotiate (I'll wash the pans if you do the plates and silverware...I'll eat your peas if you eat my tuna). You taught me that good arguments are not based on volume and expletives (although they can sometimes be used for effect) and that I'd better bring something substantial to the table to even have a shot at making my point.
I'm sure there's probably more gems of wisdom you've passed along but I'm just going to leave it at this for now. Thanks for everything.
4 comments:
I love it! Remember the good times. Many more to come.
Ah, so sweet. But I swear, the eye shadow thing was totally an honest mistake. P.S. Sometimes I lied about whether or not I was wearing socks to bed. I thought that if I told you wrong and your toes got cold, you would learn that you needed to make your own decisions. Also, no mention of Barry and Paul? I thought I taught you a critical lesson with that move...
Aubrie also helped me pick out the outfit I'm wearing in that picture.
look at us - we were all so friggen happy to be going to school. It's almost hard to watch.
Post a Comment