Monday, March 05, 2007

Who Moved My Cheese

There are some things that just don't fit properly in supermarket aisle designations. Incidentally, these are also the things that aren't sold in enough volume to warrant being placed on the index signs hanging from the ceiling. I say those are the things that need to be on the signs! Everybody knows where to find bread or cereal or soft drinks. But, say for instance, you're looking for a dairy product that doesn't need to be refrigerated..... tricky huh. Or try this one - maple syrup. French fried onions? Trust me, you won't find those items on signs.

I usually go to Wal-Mart and sort of just follow the cart till I end up in front of what I need. I know where it is, I just don't really process what items are around it. Most of the time it's pretty obvious, and I could tell you just using simple logic. Peanut butter and jelly - same aisle. Canned goods all together, condiments neatly lined up, etc. And I get along just fine for the most part, but when I switch it up, there's where we have our problems. I wandered around Dillions for 20 minutes looking for Velveeta cheese before I broke down and asked someone. At which point they told me it was in the aisle with the coffee and tea. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. That is not where it goes.

8 comments:

Aubs said...

Weird! My store refrigerates Velveeta cheese. Every store at which I've ever bought Velveeta cheese refrigerates said cheese. I would not trust the particular chunk of cheese you just purchased.

Anonymous said...

Hyvee in Lawrence definitely does not refrigerate the Velveeta. It doesn't need it until it's opened. I think they've got some weird stuff going on out east.

Adriane said...

yeah the velveeta is never refrigerated. You've been gone too long.

Anonymous said...

i must side with the two latter statements--where i'm from, velveeta is never refrigerated and always a scavenger hunt

Aubs said...

Wow. Well, I've definitely bought Velveeta several times out here (can probably count on one hand because...well, that's a lot of cheese for one person...sort of lasts awhile) and have definitely grabbed it out of the same cooler thing as all the other cheese. That said, I've always thought they seemed a little under-stocked, so maybe the real stash was off on a bottom shelf next to catnip or something.

Anonymous said...

so you're saying there's a little conflict between the stockers out there? one guy follows the rest of the nation and puts it on some random bottom shelf. but that other guy...he's always wanted his velveeta chilled. i guess you gotta give him props.

Anonymous said...

Or maybe one day the manager of Dillons said, "Hey you, put this load of Veleeta over by the hotdogs in the refrigerator." But the pothead high school drop out, (no generalizations intended) heard, "Hey you, put this load of Velveeta by the hot sauce then we'll see you later." Thus spurring the eternal debate.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know. At our Kroger in Indiana, I had this same problem...I found the Velveeta next to the bottled water...? On the other side of the wine/beer aisle. I found that to be strange as well.